leedstrustforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum For The Leeds United Supporters Trust

+2
the_peacock
Billyisgod
6 posters

Exeter Game Problems

Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Exeter Game Problems Empty Exeter Game Problems

Post by Billyisgod Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Can any members who had any share there experiences of the problems at the game this weekend please?

Many thanks.
    the_peacock
    Admin
    Admin

Exeter Game Problems Empty Re: Exeter Game Problems

Post by the_peacock Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:21 am

Leeds Utd ask for answers

Looks like the club are also looking into this. Will be interesting to see what happens here.
    LUFC DAVE
    LUFC DAVE
    Admin
    Admin

Post by LUFC DAVE Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Ill try. our bus didnt get to the ground untill very late, on arriving the game had already kicked off, lots were queing at the turnstile, three of us went in through the side as one of us is in a wheelchair. As soon as we got in you could see what was happening,total crush at the corner by the seating.

On of the people with me went to ask the policeman to try and get the game halted, whilst i pulled several out of the end, the stewards and policeman wernt doing this. I directed a few up to a bank in the corner where they could stand.

Lee d'su will have more to add im sure
    Lee D'su
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Lee D'su Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 pm

I am seen on the you tube video arguing with the lad taking the video. Their attitude was "tough shit, let them crush each other". I pointed out to several police about it being a disgrace that a game was being played whilst a possible problem could have been easilly resolved. It was a good job Leeds never scored whilst the crush was on. I have been told the referee was in knowledge of the problem and carried on playing even though fans were on the pitch.

I was threatened with ejection several times by the police. I was letting this go as "just another day watching Leeds United" until I read the local press's report on how basically it was "Leeds fans fault". I have since sent a complaint to the FL and am awaiting a reply. Would it be a good idea for the trust to send a letter to the FL and the police to ask that the Leeds fans be apologised to.

If you want me to write a more expansive report with other witnesses involved I am willing to do so. I was told by one helpfull police man that lessons would be learnt from the event to which I pointed out that was said by a Yorkshire police force many years ago. Police have powers to delay the kick off for the very reason the crush happened.
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks mate that account is one of many we have recieved saying basically very similar things.

we are talking to the area FSF chariman, the exeter trust and have a representative making contact with the FA today and we are hoping we can assist by providing our members experiences for any investigation that ensues.
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Lee D'su wrote:I am seen on the you tube video arguing with the lad taking the video. Their attitude was "tough shit, let them crush each other". I pointed out to several police about it being a disgrace that a game was being played whilst a possible problem could have been easilly resolved. It was a good job Leeds never scored whilst the crush was on. I have been told the referee was in knowledge of the problem and carried on playing even though fans were on the pitch.

I was threatened with ejection several times by the police. I was letting this go as "just another day watching Leeds United" until I read the local press's report on how basically it was "Leeds fans fault". I have since sent a complaint to the FL and am awaiting a reply. Would it be a good idea for the trust to send a letter to the FL and the police to ask that the Leeds fans be apologised to.

If you want me to write a more expansive report with other witnesses involved I am willing to do so. I was told by one helpfull police man that lessons would be learnt from the event to which I pointed out that was said by a Yorkshire police force many years ago. Police have powers to delay the kick off for the very reason the crush happened.

can you forward me a copy of the letter you have sent to the FL by pm please mate?
    Deebo
    Deebo
    Youth
    Youth

Post by Deebo Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 am

This definatly needs following up through the proper channels.

It doesn't matter if this was a "one off" as Exeter might be trying to claim. They should have procedures in place to handle bigger than normal crowds, and should have taken action straight away when it became apparent that there was a bottleneck.

It doesn't surprise me that stewards and police did want to get involved. And that's a sad truth.
    Deebo
    Deebo
    Youth
    Youth

Post by Deebo Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Article from thisisdevon.co.uk, quite inflamatory, but some important responces from fans to what happened after the article, and first hand accounts...

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/sport/Ground-shortcomings-unwelcome-showing/article-1719299-detail/article.html
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Gents as a further to this the FSF, with whom i have been incontact all week, have asked su to provide frist hand accounts from our members of the experiences they had including being held on coaches away from the ground and the problems outside and inside the ground. I have allready a couple of accounts (Lufc dave, leed'su and another new member who contacted me by email) but i would really like as many as possible to lend some weight to ensuring the truth comes out and those responsible carry the burden of that responsibility for once and not the usual 'well it was the leeds fans fault' which it clearly was not.

this matter has allready been raised with the FA and FL and we await any outcomes which of course will be fed back to you the members.

many thanks.
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 pm

LUFC DAVE wrote:Ill try. our bus didnt get to the ground untill very late, on arriving the game had already kicked off, lots were queing at the turnstile, three of us went in through the side as one of us is in a wheelchair. As soon as we got in you could see what was happening,total crush at the corner by the seating.

On of the people with me went to ask the policeman to try and get the game halted, whilst i pulled several out of the end, the stewards and policeman wernt doing this. I directed a few up to a bank in the corner where they could stand.

Lee d'su will have more to add im sure

dave can you pm me with more detail please?
    the_peacock
    Admin
    Admin

Post by the_peacock Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:53 am

Billyisgod wrote:Gents as a further to this the FSF, with whom i have been incontact all week, have asked su to provide frist hand accounts from our members of the experiences they had including being held on coaches away from the ground and the problems outside and inside the ground. I have allready a couple of accounts (Lufc dave, leed'su and another new member who contacted me by email) but i would really like as many as possible to lend some weight to ensuring the truth comes out and those responsible carry the burden of that responsibility for once and not the usual 'well it was the leeds fans fault' which it clearly was not.

this matter has allready been raised with the FA and FL and we await any outcomes which of course will be fed back to you the members.

many thanks.
    Billy - Might be an idea to put something on the website and also send out an email to our members to let them know we want first hand accounts of what happened and what we are trying to do. At the moment I can't see anything about it apart from on this forum, which at the moment doesn't reach a great deal of members.

Just a thought.
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

good thinking Aiden.
    Deebo
    Deebo
    Youth
    Youth

Post by Deebo Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 am

Glad to see you guys are running with this. Could be an early opportunity for the Trust to get involved with this issue and demonstrate to fans that the Trust can and will get involved on behalf of fans...

From some of the thread, Rowley Birken QC (on the Exeter forum and on waccoe) was very vocal in his experiences.

I am shocked that something like this can happen at a football ground in 2010. Yes, its a small ground. Yes, it didn't end in tragedy, but what on earth were the police and stewards thinking, let alone Exeter City?? That ground is clearly unsafe and not fit to hold that many people.

I definatly think this is an issue that the TRUST should pursue.

Get it up on the LUST website as well if you can....
    Deebo
    Deebo
    Youth
    Youth

Post by Deebo Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 am

I will add a post on LUFC>talk copying in your email from today BIG...
    Billyisgod
    Trust Admin

Post by Billyisgod Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Deebo wrote:I will add a post on LUFC>talk copying in your email from today BIG...

thanks mate, i will pm rowley on waccoe too.
    Lee D'su
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Lee D'su Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:03 am

Reply from FL.

Dear Mr Forbes

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the problems and can advise that a meeting of the Exeter City Safety Advisory Group was held this week with a view to improved management of the away terrace at St James’ Park.

We would assure you that all matters related to crowd safety are treated with the upmost importance.
    Garlic bread
    Trust Admin

Post by Garlic bread Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:43 am

exactly the type of response that tells you nothing, i.e what are they doing about it, how will they tackle the same situation if it happens again, what are they doing to ensure it doesnt happen again..FFS

Col - ask them for the outputs of the meeting

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am